Wednesday, July 9, 2008

4th of Juplaya, Black Rock Desert 2008

Dismal had a very nice display of sparks and fire for everyones enjoyment. Never saw a flamin' wooden donkey before. Nice that I get to mark that off the long list of things I wanted to see in my time.

Saturday my roommate and I spent the day at the mostly nude hot springs otherwise known as Frog Pond. There was a very interesting mix of people at this event. It takes some effort, but if you concentrate hard enough, you can filter out all of the murmuring people and focus on the sound of the wind whispering through the said to have been Russian Olive trees, the many dragonflies zooming by at untold speeds and the splash of tiny fish jumping from their aqueous habitat for a glance at naked post hippie BurningMan DPW types. Then reality chimes in with "Don't spook the whores", said by one very articulate bearded man. He must have been a professor of some type.

After enjoying our share of sulfur water, sun, heat and PBnJ, Alice and I decided to head to Lake Tahoe to do some barbecuing. It was very smoky from a massive and distant forest fire. We needed to get some charcoal from safeway. Or did we? We are so very used to buying stuff. What they got at the store, yo! I buy that shit... naw... I thought back about when I was in the Philippines hanging out with some really cool Filipino folks. We were cooking fish on Bantayan Island in the Visayas. We just gathered some dried out beach wood and got a nice fire going on the sand and wrapped the fish in some banana leaves to keep the sand and dirt out. We set it on a rock on the hot coals until we had some delicious fishy bits to consume. So Alice and I said "The heck with Saveway" we are gonna do this old school style. We found a public beach with a heavy duty BBQ grill. We gathered up some wood got ourselves a 5-6 foot high bonfire type flame going. Gave it a bit to turn into a big pile of scorching coals and lowered the grill. It couldn't have been any better. I had some steak and potato/veggie salad Alice had chicken. Alloi Mak(thai).

Twas a nice weekend indeed.

The Dismal Fire Cracker Show:

No comments: